2. The connective tissue wrapping that covers the entire skeletal muscle is the:
3. The proteins of muscle contraction are:
myoglobin and collagen
actin and myoglobin
actin and myosin
myosin and myoglobin
4. The cell membrane of a muscle fiber is known as the:
5. The origin of a muscle is generally located:
at its insertion
lateral to the insertion
distal to the insertion
proximal to the insertion
6. Which of these muscles insert into the superficial fascia and dermis of the skin?
muscles of mastication
intrinsic muscles of the hand
muscles of the neck
muscles of facial expressions
7. Which of the following is NOT a muscle of mastication?
8. Muscles of the dorsal and lateral forearm are generally:
9. Which of the following muscles has NO direct action at the wrist?
flexor carpi radialus
extensor carpi ulnaris
10. Which muscle's name indirectly refers to its role in crossing one's legs?
11. Lever actions do NOT include:
Changing the strength of a force
Changing the delay time produced by a force
Changing the direction of an applied force
Changing the speed of movement produced by a force
12. The actions of flexing, adducting and medially rotating the arm describe which muscle?
triceps brachii (long head)
13. The three functional classes of articulations are:
synarthrosis, amphiarthrosis, diathrosis
gomphosis, synchondrosis, synostosis
syndesmosis, symphysis, amphiarthrosis
monaxial, biaxial, triaxial
14. The type of synovial joint in which angular movement is limited to a single axis is a:
Ball and socket joint
15. All but which of the following are muscles that lie anterior and inferior to the hip joint and that adduct the thigh?
16. Which of the following is not a characteristic of diarthroses?
Permit only a limited range of motion
Are typically found at the ends of long bones
Have articulating surfaces covered by articular cartilage
Are surrounded by a fibrous joint capsule
17. Which of the following structures is not a part of the pinna (auricle) of the ear?
18. Which of the following clinical-structural words are paired incorrectly?
cleft lip - philtrum
broken nose - nasion
pierced ears - lobule
"black eye" - concha
19. Intramuscular injections are frequently given in the:
20. McBurney's point is often used to locate the:
21. Which pair of muscles forms the anterior and posterior borders of the axilla?
Deltoid - pectoralis minor
Triceps brachii - pectoralis major
Latissimus dorsi - pectoralis major
Latissimus dorsi - deltoid
22. Which of the following is not characteristic of all synovial joints?
A joint capsule
23. Which joint is a combination of a gliding joint and a hinge joint?
Tibiofemoral joint (knee)
24. Palpation of a pulse to the head is best accomplished within the:
Carotid (=anterior) triangle
25. Varicose veins most frequently occur when which of the following becomes excessively enlarged?
External iliac vein
26. Extending the hand to accept something placed in it requires:
Pronation and rotation
Flexion and abduction
Extension and supination
Flexion and inversion
27. Which of the following bursae is not associated with the humeroscapular joint?
28. Which of the following is not a primary ligament of the coxal joint?
Arcuate popliteal ligament
29. Which of the following is not an oculomotor muscle?
30. The superficial, longitudinal group of muscles of the spine is known as the:
31. Which of the following is not a superficial muscle of the urogenital triangle?
Superficial transverse perineus
32. The muscle of the quadriceps group that acts over both the hip and knee joint is the:
33. The muscle of the calf most prominently seen when taking a step:
34. When you shrug your shoulders, you are contracting your:
35. When muscle fibers contract, what slides toward the center of a sarcomere?
The thin filaments of actin
The thick filaments of myosin
Neither the thick nor thin filaments
Both the thick and thin filaments
36. Muscles in which of the following locations would be considered part of the "muscular system?"
In the wall of the heart
In the wall of the small intestine
Around the lens of the eye
Surrounding the mouth
37. Muscles with fibers arranged concentrically around a bodily orifice are:
38. A term used in a muscle's name that refers to the orientation of the muscle fibers is:
39. The abdominal wall is composed of:
Internal and external oblique muscles
The transverse abdominis muscle
The rectus abdominis muscle
All of the above
40. Characteristics of the axial musculature include all but which one of the following?
Arises and inserts on bones of the axial skeleton
Positions spinal column and head
Plays a role in moving the pelvic and pectoral girdles
Assists in breathing by moving the rib cage