2. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of mammals?
left aortic arch
three ear ossicles
3. The taxonomic scheme, from specific to general is
species, class, order, phylum
genus, family, kingdom, phylum
species, family, class, kingdom
genus, phylum, class, kingdom
4. Histological classification of epithelial cells is based on the number of layers of cells and their
5. Where would one NOT find simple squamous epithelium?
6. Phagocytosis is a function of which connective tissue type?
7. The intervertebral discs are composed of
elastic connective tissue
8. Intercalated discs are found in
cardiac and skeletal muscle
9. Chromosomes divide and are pulled to opposite ends of the cell during
10. If you want to separate the abdominal from the thoracic cavity, which plane would you use?
11. The subdivisions of the dorsal cavity include the
thoracic and abdominopelvic cavities
abdominal and pelvic cavities
cranial and spinal cavities
pleural and pericardial cavities
12. All but which one of the following are types of serous membranes?
13. Which of the following are the three components of the connective tissue layers and wrappings that create the internal framework of the body?
tendons, aponeuroses, ligaments
superficial fascia, deep fascia, subserous fascia
hypodermis, dermis, epidermis
pericardium, peritoneum, pleura
14. The growth in length of a bone is at the
center of the shaft
15. The structures of the humerus that accept projections of the ulna in flexion and extension are
intertubercular groove, radial groove
coronoid fossa, olecranon fossa
medial epicondyle, lateral epicondyle
radial fossa, trochlear notch
16. The activity of _____ results in producing new bone matrix, while that of _____ can remove bone matrix
17. The component bones of the pectoral girdle include
ilium and pubis
clavicle and scapula
scapula and humerus
radius and ulna
18. Among the prominent bone markings of the scapula are the
supraspinous fossa, patellar fossa, iliac fossa
superior border, medial angle, inferior border
coracoid process, acromion process, scapular spine
olecranon process, coronoid process, styloid process
19. The two proximal carpals that articulate with the radius in making the wrist joints are the
scaphoid and lunate
triangular and scaphoid
triangular and pisiform
lunate and pisiform
20. Among the prominent bone markings of the tibia are the
interochanteric line, interochanteric crest, patellar surface
anterior crest, tibial tuberosity, medial malleolus
lateral malleolus, anterior crest, interosseous crest
medial malleolus, lateral malleolus, tibial crest
21. The mastoid process is a bony extension of the
22. The sella turcica, supporting the pituitary gland, is part of the
23. A structural feature of a typical cervical vertebra is
a transverse foramen
a long spinous process
24. The head of the femur articulates with the
25. The medial malleolus is a process on the
26. Which of the following is not a principal chordate characteristic?
dorsal hollow nerve cord
distinct head, thorax and abdomen
27. The ventral cavity is composed of all of the following body cavities except
the thoracic cavity
the abdominal cavity
the spinal cavity
the pelvic cavity
28. At birth, the skin of a neonate is covered with a grayish, cheeselike substance called
29. Which is not a characteristic of the epidermis?
contains melanin and keratin
gives rise to subaceous and sweat glands
30. Most of the skeleton is formed by
31. Which epidermal layer is lacking within the skin of the head and torso?
32. Which of the following is an opening into bone?
33. Which suture extends from the anterior to the posterior fontanel?
34. The facial bone that is not paired is the
35. The roughened vertical ridge on the posterior surface of the femoral shaft is the
36. Bones which form in tendons in response to stress are called
37. Which is not part of the appendicular skeleton?
38. Of the 11 organ systems, the only one that can be observed from the surface of the body is the
39. Which pair of directional terms would describe movement along a frontal plane?
40. Which portion of the sternum attaches to the greatest number of ribs?