2. Who introduced the use of disinfectant agents to clean surgical wounds in order to control infections in humans?
3. Which one of the following is NOT a basic shape of bacteria?
4. Which of the following is a descriptive prefix for bacteria appearing in clustered groups?
5. Which of the following is NOT a method of aseptic technique?
6. The study of fungi is:
7. A non-living organism that transmits disease is called a:
8. Which pentose sugar is found in DNA?
9. What is the monomer of which proteins are composed?
10. Which part of a phospholipid is hydrophilic?
The polar head
The terminal bulge
The non-polar tails
11. Which type of organic polymer is an enzyme?
12. Which structure determines whether a cell is gram positive or gram negative?
13. Gram negative cells have:
Both B and C
14. Gram positive cells:
Have an outermembrane
Have a thick layer of peptidoglycan
Both A and C
15. Which of the following bacteria are acid-fast?
16. Which of the following are strict anaerobes?
17. Which term designates flagellae that are evenly distributed on the surface of a bacterium?
18. Which of the following bases is NOT found in RNA?
19. Which bacteria can survive best in a medium hypertonic to most bacteria?
20. Which of the following antibiotics do NOT bind with the ribosomes of bacteria?
21. A nosocomial infection is
Acquired from aerosols
Acquired from a hospital
Acquired by exchanging bodily fluids
Acquired in a social setting
22. Which term refers to a decomposition reaction in which a complete water molecule is added back into a compound?
23. What is the most common type of dye used on bacteria?
24. Which nucleotide is antiparallel?
Both A and B
Neither A nor B
25. Which of the following structures are designed to resist phagocytosis?
26. Which of the following antibiotics are selectively toxic to fungi?
27. Which of the following is NOT true of metachromatic granules?
Composed of volutin
Are found on spirochetes
Composed of inorganic phosphate
Are one type of cytoplasmic inclusion
28. Who developed the Germ Theory of Disease?
29. Which term refers to the study of the cause or source of a disease?
30. The best definition of "sterile" from the choices below is
Not infected with pathogenic microorganisms
Not infected with microorganisms
Not infected with staphylococcus